Things to do and see in Normandy
Ideas for your holiday at our French gites
There are so many interesting places to visit in this lovely unspoilt part of Normandy including chateaux, cathedrals, markets and fascinating old towns. Here are a few of our favourite places to go. There are a lot more suggestions in the information book in the farmhouse too.
- Villedieu des Poeles: this fascinating old town is famous for its copper ware and has a lively market on Tuesday and an interesting Bell Foundry.
- Coutances with its world famous cathedral has a street market on Thursday, lots of interesting shops and cafes and beautifully tended gardens floodlit in July and August.
- Gavray is a local market town which has a lively calf market on a Wednesday which is fun for all the family. There are piglets, chickens and ducklings too, market stalls and the delicious smell of cooking sauages. There is a pannier market on Saturday and a good bar/restaurant with tables outside.
- Normandy Landing Beaches are within easy reach with interesting museums at Arromanches and Caen etc.
- Bayeux: famous for its tapestry is a very pretty flower filled town with a beautiful cathedral.
- Le Mont Saint Michel is a stunning Norman abbey church built on a rocky tidal island.
There are many village fairs with Vide Grenier (empty your attic) sales. Click here to see our blog with more information.